HDFC Credit Card Cancellation online:
HDFC Bank credit card closure process is a task of patience since it takes 7 days from the receipt of written letter. Give below are the following steps required to the closure of your HDFC Credit Card:
Step 1 – Dial the customer care number provided at the back of your HDFC Credit card.
All types of credit card holders in HDFC Bank can contact the customer helpline through the HDFC Bank credit card cancellation number 1800-425-4332 (Toll-Free for BSNL / MTNL Landline customers.
Once you’ve connected to the customer care executive, He/She will make a few queries regarding the reason behind you closing your credit card account. He/She may try to persuade you to continue the service instead.
Step 2 – Make payment in full of any outstanding amount on your credit card.
This includes all the expenses incurred on your card and also the interest, fees, and charges associated with the card. Maintain a record of this payment as a proof.
Step 3 – Write a letter to HDFC Bank Credit Card Division and enclose your diagonally cut HDFC credit card along with the letter. The envelope must be marked to “HDFC Bank Credit Card Helpdesk”.
The envelope should be addressed to “Manager, HDFC Bank Credit Cards, P.O. Box 8654, Thiruvanmiyur P.O., Chennai – 600041”. It is advisable to retain a copy of the letter with you to serve as a legal record.
The following sample shall give you a fair idea of the HDFC Credit Card closing letter format:
Re: Closing account on card name account number
I would sincerely request the cancellation of my credit card bearing the number ___. I at this moment state that I have paid all the dues outstanding on my credit card.
I have duly attached the diagonally cut HDFC credit card with this letter. I would be delighted if the cancellation process did not take much time. Any updates on my credit report should reflect the same.
Please send a confirmation when the credit card is closed.
City, State, and Zip code.
Step 4 – Call the customer care service and inform them that you have dropped the letter as well as the credit card in the required manner.
Note: Do not forget to redeem all the reward points accumulated on your credit card before you go ahead to close them. A careful planning and execution will go a long way in deriving maximum benefits from your credit card.
Types of HDFC Credit Card Closures:
o HDFC Credit Card Full Closure
Under this arrangement, you make the entire payment of the outstanding amount on your HDFC credit card to the bank. The payment might be made in one go if the amount is small, or in installments, if the due amount is large.
o HDFC Credit Card Settlement
Settlement on your credit card debt refers to the negotiations with the bank to waive off part of the outstanding amount. It is for someone who is struggling to pay their credit card dues to the bank.
Note: The settlement of credit card works against you in the long run. Your credit report will mention ‘settlement’ and getting any loans from the bank would be very difficult. Your credit score will also take a dip.
If you are below 45 years of age, opting for settlement is a big mistake. It is advisable to go for this arrangement only if there are no alternatives left for you.
Canceling your HDFC Bank Credit Card without hurting your credit Score:
A credit score is a parameter by which banks and other lenders judge about your ability to borrow the money. It determines your credit standing and suitability to loan the money. An individual’s credit score is a pinnacle of numerous factors, of which credit cards form a significant part. Hence, closure of a credit card can have a significant impact on it.
Below is a list of some instructions helpful to close HDFC Bank credit card without affecting the score:
- Never close your older credit card, unless you have decided not to own a credit card in future . Old is Gold, and the rule is very much substantial in this case as well. A long track record of your older credit card aids in you securing a better credit score. It is not advisable to cancel multiple credit cards at once. If the need arises, spacing the closures over a larger span of time would be less hurtful to your credit score.
- It is strongly recommended for you to not over-consolidate balances into one card. An ideal rule of thumb is to keep your credit balances at 30% of the available limits, if possible.
Precautions to Be Taken While closing your HDFC Bank Credit Card:
When you’re deciding to deactivate your HDFC Credit card, the following points should be kept in mind:
- It is very necessary to obtain an acknowledgement from the bank that your credit card has indeed been closed. Usually, the same is communicated via a letter sent by the bank.
- If you do not properly follow up with the bank, the chances are that the bank may continue levying all sorts of charges on your card, even when you have already cut it into pieces.
- You should always be attentive to your credit report, especially after you have closed the credit card, to ensure that there is no difference in the presentation of the same.